Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Conscious Effort...

I know...I know...I'm in trouble aren't I??? It's been quite awhile since I updated Ian's Reason. Not sure what I've been doing but I sure haven't been on here. I have been working, selling Rhizo Kids shirts, painting pottery,planting lots and lots of flowers, and patiently awaiting the news of my teaching position for next year. So...My mind has been elsewhere.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to someone about "Happiness." We were talking about when people go through trials and hard times in life and they turn into mush. You know just a big ole' pile of unhappiness. Come on guys...you know those people! They are always gripping and complaining about something and a lot of times blaming their troubles on someone else. They are in a pit of despair, often times blaming God for the unhappiness in their lives and they aren't working real hard at finding happiness again.

This person said something that has stuck with me. She said..."But Mary look at what you have been through. You quit your job, you took care of a sick child 24/7 for 2 years, and then your child died. How are you happy? You go on with your life and you make a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to be happy." My answer was..."The difference is my faith in Jesus Christ! I rely on him every day of my life to make it just one more day and to not live a life full of bitterness" After she said that to me about making a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to be happy I started thinking. You know I think that is the answer to my prayers for making it just one more day. God helps me to make a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to have a good day. He pushes me through one more day with possibly a little bit more of a smile in my soul than I had the day before.

Isn't that awesome?!? I can't imagine going through hardships and trials in this life and not having the faith I have. I would end up being a miserable and depressed person for the remainder of my life. I would be mad, depressed, sad, complaining, and just a plain ole' slug for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong...there are many days when being a slug are pretty appealing to me. There are days when I don't want to talk to a single living soul and I don't want to see anyone. BUT...I don't do that! I make a conscious effort to have a good day.

Psalm 68:3 says "But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;may they be happy and joyful." The footnotes in my bible for this verse explained that only in God is there hope. So there you go...it's right there in the bible for ya'...Without God as the center of your life you don't have much hope for happiness in this life. I'm not talking about the people who have never faced a hardship. Sure those people are happy...they haven't been tested yet. I'm talking about those of us who have cried a river of tears from heartbreak and who have been pressed on all sides with troubles. There is no hope for you if you don't have God!!!

A quick quote for you to ponder..."Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times." I saw this on a church sign this week and I thought it summed up how we must make a conscious effort to be happy sometimes.

So...today I say...DEAL WITH IT! Sure things are going to happen in this life that causes heartbreak in our lives. Sure we are going to get depressed at times because our lives didn't turn out how we had planned. But deal with it. Allow yourself some "mad time" but only a short time. Then...DEAL WITH IT! Do you want to look back 40 years later and realize you wasted the best years of your life because you were bitter,mad, and depressed about something that happened in your life. I sure don't...I want to live by the words of the song "Praise you in this storm" "I will praise you in this storm, and I will lift my hands for YOU are who YOU are no matter where I am. And every tear I've cried you hold in your hands and though my heart is TORN I will praise You in this storm."

Make a conscious effort today at happiness. It will make your day so much better. Then when you wake up tomorrow you can start all over again praying for God to help you make a conscious effort at happiness.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That was a wonderful post. I really enjoy reading your post. They are always inspirational. I needed this today, for I am going to make a Conscious Effort. Thank you and God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete